is a type of cancer that attacks the cells in your immune system.
If we suspect an ocular condition or disease,
we will immediately schedule or perform
diagnostic tests to determined our next steps.
There are 3 types of ocular lymphomas:
1) Primary vitroretinal lymphoma: a type of primary central nervous system lymphoma. It affects the retina, vitreous and optic nerve.
2) Primary uveal lymphoma: affects the choroid layer in the eye. Image courtesy of the Collaborative Ocular Melanoma Study Group
3) Secondary intraocular lymphoma: seen in patients who have systemic lymphoma. It usually involves the choroid, iris, and rarely the retina.
What causes ocular lymphoma?
The exact cause of ocular lymphoma is not known.
Most people who have ocular lymphoma are elderly or have an immune system problem such as AIDS.
Those with rheumatoid arthritis or take anti-rejection drugs after a transplant are also at a higher risk for this disease.
Genetics may also contribute and play a role in the development of ocular lymphoma.
You may inherit a gene from a parent that increases the chance of developing this type of cancer.
You and your eye doctor will discuss the treatment plan that is best for you.
Treatment options include:
• Chemotherapy: the use of special drugs to kill cancer cells both inside the eye and that may have spread outside the eye. It may be injected directly into the eye, into a vein, or into the spinal fluid.
• External Radiation Therapy: this may be directed into to the brain, spinal cord, or eye. It will help prevent the cancer from spreading or kill any cancer cells that may be there.
reatment depends on whether or not the cancer is in other parts of the body. Ocular lymphoma is treated with a team of doctors including medical, neuro (brain), and radiation oncologists (cancer doctors).
THE EYE SPECIALISTS OF OHIO PROVIDE THE HIGHEST QUALITY
OF EYE CARE AND PERSONALIZED SERVICE YOU CAN TRUST
Eye Specialists of Ohio
By being our patient, you have placed your confidence in us! We pledge to honor that trust by providing excellent personalized care. We work hard to be recognized as a center of excellence and to provide exceptional service with every visit.
We strive to always provide the highest quality eye care services each time you walk through the door. We pledge to take excellent care of you and your family by getting to know you on a personal level.
We will make every effort to take a complete approach to your eye care. This means that we will take the time to not only understand your eye health and visual needs, but your general health, lifestyle, and dietary habits as well. This is somewhat rare in health care today, but we think you will find it to be a refreshing change.
Eye Specialists of Ohio provides superior vision and eye health care including the prevention, diagnosis and treatment in a caring, professional manner with an emphasis on patient education. We are eager to provide all of your family's eye care needs, and we would be delighted to have you as our patient.
Schedule your Eye health and Vision appointment today with our experienced eye care providers and give your vision the level of care and attention it deserves.